The Gilmore Book Club – Nocturnes: Five Stories of Music and Nightfall, Discussion #2
August 18, 2021
Looking for something to do this summer? Want to join a community of readers who love music just as much as you do? Join The Gilmore Book Club – sign up today!
On Wednesday, August 25 at 7 PM ET, we will meet virtually to discuss Stories 4: “Nocturne” through Story 5: “Cellists” of Kazuo Ishiguro’s Nocturnes: Five Stories of Music and Nightfall. Participants have been emailed a link to the Google Meet. Below you will find the questions we will be discussing at this time.
- Why do you think Ishiguro chose to reintroduce Lindy Gardner? How does reading this story change your understanding of “Crooner”?
- “If there was one figure who epitomized for me everything that was shallow and sickening about the world, it was Lindy Gardner: a person with negligible talent . . . who’s managed all the same to become famous” (page 137). In what ways is this idea connected to the other stories in the collection? How much does talent matter in Ishiguro’s world?
- How does being wrapped in bandages and hidden away from the world affect Steve and Lindy’s behavior? Do you think things might have gone differently if their faces were exposed?
- How does Eloise influence, and seemingly improve, Tibor’s playing? What power does she hold?
- Eloise says, “You have to understand, I am a virtuoso. But I’m one who’s yet to be unwrapped” (page 212). Why is she convinced of this? Do you believe she’s a virtuoso? Does Tibor?
Want to begin the discussion before our meeting? Check out The Gilmore Book Club Facebook Group!
Need help finding the book? Check out our local partners! Kalamazoo residents can find books at the Kalamazoo Public Library and at This is A Bookstore & Bookbug, while Battle Creek residents can find them at the Willard Library as well as at This is A Bookstore & Bookbug. This is A Bookstore & Bookbug shoppers will receive 10% off one book and 15% off when purchasing all three!
Have any questions? Email our Digital Media Coordinator, Abigail at firstname.lastname@example.org.