The Gilmore Keyboard Festival’s Education Programs provide music experiences that promote exploration and provide performance opportunities for youth and adults.
Celebrating the joy of music making, and, in particular, the keyboard, is central to our mission. Programs that not only develop basic keyboard skills but also foster a lifelong appreciation of music make up the curricula for The Gilmore’s Education initiatives.
Photo by Chris McGuire Photography
- Piano Labs – Professional piano teachers hired by The Gilmore give free, twice-weekly lessons during the school day to children who would not otherwise have a chance to study piano.
- Gilmore Piano Camps – A week-long camp is held at the Sherman Lake YMCA Outdoor Center devoted to piano study consisting of: a day camp that features enrichment activities designed for the early years of piano study, and an overnight camp devoted to the intermediate through advanced piano student.
- KeysFest – The annual day-long piano festival for piano students of all levels in grades 1–12 in the greater Battle Creek and Kalamazoo areas to perform and receive instruction from professional pianists and/or educators.
- Student Tickets – Due to the generous support of our donors, full-time students can purchase advance tickets to most Gilmore events for just $6! This is a real student discount that applies to any available seat in the venue.
- Gilmore Family Concerts – This free concerts series precedes the festival, bringing an internationally renowned pianist to Kalamazoo and the surrounding communities for a family-friendly, all-ages concert experience.
These year-round opportunities are made possible through partnerships and community collaborations.
Piano Lab at the Maple Street YMCA. Photo by Chris McGuire Photography
Arts Fund of Kalamazoo County
Dorothy U. Dalton Foundation
Faber & Faber
Family and Friends in memory of Gail Kasdorf
Family and Friends in memory of Terry Lason
John E. Fetzer Institute Fund
Friends of The Gilmore
Irving S. Gilmore Foundation
Martha J. Harrison Piano Education Fund – endowed
Wanda Pagel Herman
Kalamazoo Community Foundation
Kalamazoo Regional Educational Service Agency – Education for the Arts
W.K. Kellogg Foundation
Betty and Jerry Mason
Michigan Council for Arts & Cultural Affairs
Jerry and Susan Miller
Monroe-Brown Foundation Trustees
National Endowment for the Arts
Suzanne U.D. Parish Foundation
John and Kay Polzin
Reeder Pianos Inc.
Joan K. Sharda
Glen C. and Gail G. Smith Fund
Steinway & Sons
Stryker Johnston Foundation
Harold and Grace Upjohn Foundation
Van Dalson Youth Endowment
VanderSalm’s Flower Shop and Garden Center
West Michigan Piano Sales
Western Michigan University School of Music