Creative expression, musical exploration, skill development, self-discipline and self-esteem are just a few of the benefits of participating in Gilmore Piano Labs.
Through computerized keyboards, quality curriculum and qualified, energetic instructors and music therapists, several hundred students in the greater Kalamazoo area enjoy piano lessons twice a week and seize the opportunity for after-school practice – students who would not otherwise have the opportunity to learn to play the piano.
Kalamazoo Public Elementary Schools
Gilmore Piano Labs are currently offered at Woods Lake and Spring Valley Elementary Schools. Students are selected in collaboration with KPS Administration, student desire and teacher/parent endorsement. Due to gracious support from corporations, businesses, foundations and anonymous donors, schools are assessed only a small fee for the operation of the Piano Labs, and students pay only a minimal registration fee.
Participation in Gilmore Piano Labs includes:
- Two 30-minute sessions each week
- Access to an after-school practice program
- Periodic progress reports
- Twice yearly school recitals
- Assessments from participants as well as teachers, parents and administration
Kalamazoo County Juvenile Home
The Gilmore Piano Lab provides these young individuals the opportunity to learn the basics of playing the piano, exploring the elements of music through sound, rhythm and movement. It offers a safe way to express the wide range of emotions that many youth experience.
Participation in the Juvenile Home Gilmore Piano Lab includes:
- A combination of private and group instruction to support each student’s individual needs and to develop skills for working together as a duo or ensemble
- Participation in Monthly Musical Fests that allow students to share with others what they have learned
- DVDs that provide important musical performance to enhance learning, explore musical theory, history and individual composition
- Recordings of students’ work for students to keep at program conclusion
Kalamazoo RESA Young Adult Program
Collaborating with the Kalamazoo Regional Educational Service Agency, whose services include providing a range of transition services to young people with disabilities ages 17-26, the Gilmore Piano Lab teaches the basics of music and rhythm through the piano, percussion and other instruments.